Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Grade 3...OH THE DRAMA

Emma and I had quite the conversation on the way home from church tonight. It seems that 8-year-old girls can be quite catty to one another, and she was filling me in on a few squabbles that have taken place at school recently. We talked about how some people can seem crabby and argumentative, but that it’s a good idea to not take it personally, since you don’t know what’s going on in the other person’s life. I said, “Who knows? Maybe she’s just having a bad day because her mom yelled at her that morning” (a scenario I’m quite sure Emma can relate to). And this is how the conversation went after that:


Emma: Well, I think I know why Suzi (not her real name) is kind of crabby…she had an operation on her arm a couple of years ago.


Me: Oh, and she’s still upset about it?


Emma: Well, now she has a fake arm.


Me: I’m sorry… did you say a fake arm??


Emma: Yep. She has one fake arm and one real arm. Once, we were in gym and she smacked me with her arm and I was like, OWWW!!! And she said Oh, sorry about that Emma. That was my fake arm. It has metal in it.


Me: (a little dazed) OH…and does it look like her other arm?


Emma: Pretty much. It has veins in it, but there wasn’t any blood in the veins until March Break. She said she had some blood put in on March Break.


Me: Well, I guess all of that would make you crabby once in a while. (I don’t know…it was hard to know how to respond after the whole vein thing)


Emma: Well, that and also she lives with her aunt…her mom drinks.


Me: OH!!


Emma: And her dad too.


Me: OH MY.


I'm not quite sure what to make of all of it, really. I think we'll add her to our prayer list. The part about living with her aunt is probably a sad truth, unfortunately. But I think i need to check out the arm for myself!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Loved it! You have to be quiet to hear the full extended story!! She's like Jacob! Would have LOVED to have been in the car when this convo was taking place... just to see the look on your face!