Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wish I could be one of those fun moms...

Today when I picked up the girls from school I was so excited to see that Lauren was bringing home her class’ pet hermit crabs. Aren’t I a party pooper? I’m sorry, but I just immediately flashed forward to a hysterical “MOMMY!! HAVE YOU SEEN T-PAIN AND LIL WAYNE??” moment. Oh, did I not mention that those are their names? Someone in Lauren’s class suggested those, and apparently the majority ruled and so they were christened. Neither one looks like their rapper namesake, but maybe with some really low-riding jeans and some serious bling there would be a greater resemblance. (honestly, how hilarious is it that I found a picture of them at underarock dot com??) Lauren and Emma have decided to call them Hermy and Sheldon, so in a heartbeat they went from hip to nerdsville.


I asked Lauren what needed to be done for the crabs tonight, and she assured me that they only need a couple of food pellets. Thankfully, we are not responsible for cleaning out the tank or anything. There was some talk about letting them out to walk around, but when the girls heard my “you’re going to let them out on my KITCHEN TABLE??”, Lauren heaved a big sigh and said “not necessarily…”. They don’t seem to have any odour, which is good (although Will did say he thought something smelled liked corned beef). I’m not big on odours, although I can tell you quite honestly that I have never seen anyone react as badly to a strong smell as Emma’s friend Kendra. She was in our group for our zoo trip at the beginning of the month and I was just about on the floor every time we went into a pavilion to look at the animals. She would make the most astonishing gagging/hacking sounds. The first time it happened, I truly expected to turn around and see her lung lying on the ground.


Sorry, went off on a whole other tangent there. So here's hoping that the crabs don't keel over tonight, and go back to school tomorrow safe and sound. I told Lauren that she'd better keep an eye on Inky, because she was scoping out the tank like "hmm...hermit crabs...it's what's for dinner".


No comments: